Week 8- Tamales

This week I decided to start my new series of cultural food. I am of Salvadorian decent so I have decided to make traditional Hispanic food. I have decided to make tamales. Tamales are a very controversial food as no one knows which country it originated from so due to this many country have adapted it to its unique flavor. I will be making Salvadorian tamales and the difference between these and the other types is that in El Salvador they make them with banana leafs. My mom took me to buy them at H Mart (asian superstore) which is weird as I didn’t know they used them as well. My grandma makes them with chicken and some spicy sauce, and they taste okay, but I like my moms better. She makes them with leafs, masa and potato. They taste amazing with a tomato sauce. Its very silky and tasy. Apparently to my father they taste better the next day as the flavors settle down. The process of making tamales is very long and hard to do and usually if my mom makes them they take up all day ( which is why she makes them rarely). These are probably one of the hardest recipes to make and It was fun to make them and challenging. Here is a picture of how they turned out to be. Enjoy!!!

Published by

rubyott22

Genius Hour with Ruby.